This may be a whacky idea, but I’ve been thinking about this idea for club sports for a while. Maybe it is more specifically for club track or individualized sports, but what about a virtual coach or club for your travel sports?
Let’s take my sport, track, for example because I’m not quite sure this works for many of the team sports.
I know there are track clubs out there and do make this work, but we live in a very fast paced society. This society seems to be constantly doing things all the time and on the go.
The track clubs’ practice schedule might not be at the ideal time for the athlete.
From a track club’s point of view, it can be tough to find a track where you can secure practice time. That can also be pricey if you don’t have the right hook up.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros for a virtual club coach specifically for a track athlete:
- It will probably cost the athlete a little less than what it costs to join an actual track club.
- You get workouts specific just for your athlete’s needs and abilities. Most track programs will have a designated workout for the distance runners or sprinters. Not saying that won’t work for your athlete, but you can get it tweaked just a little more for your athlete’s specific abilities.
- Your athlete can do the workout when they have time. Maybe they have a summer job that isn’t flexible, you could do it before work.
- It’s easier to get on a track and do it alone as opposed to a whole team renting a track and carving time for just your track club.
- You don’t have to do the club’s summer track meets if it doesn’t work for your schedule. You can discuss with your coach what meets might work best for you.
There are some cons to this, so let’s take a look at those cons:
- You might not be able to get on a track as easily as you think.
- You don’t have teammates to run with to potentially push you during your workouts.
- You don’t have a coach there to motivate you during your workouts or correct technique issues right there on the spot.
- You might not be able to run on a relay as easily if this is something you desire.
- You might not have access to extra equipment if you are in a specialty event such as hurdles, high jump pit, etc.
What I learned having run a summer track clubs is that it is a different feel then running with your school. You have to really have the desire to run summer track.
There are a lot of kids who don’t care so much about running as the summer schedule continues on. If that is the case, it might be better to have a virtual track club so you can focus on your goals.
Plus, with today’s technology you can wear wearable tracking devices that would upload your workouts to a cloud that your coach would have access to. The coach can easily make adjustments to your workouts based on what he/she is seeing without you really having to say anything.
This can easily be done with more individual sports such as golf, cornhole, or tennis. The team sports obviously would be a bit tougher. Just want to see if you are reading this all the way through.
I may be off my rocker, but I think this could work. If you disagree put your comments in the box below. If you agree and want to possibly use me as your virtual track coach, put that in the comments box below as well.